for NEU Deputy General Secretary
Leading from the front, building from below
Videos (14 to choose from!)
Pay & Workload
17th August 2021
Martin explains why letters and petitions are not enough and sets out his strategy for building national action on pay and workload. Download his leaflet here.
25th July 2021
Martin issues an immediate video statement calling for unions to prepare national action in response to the confirmation of a pay freeze for teachers.
27th April 2021
Martin writes on why the Union needs to campaign for a limit on overall working hours – not just teachers’ directed time.
9th April 2021
Martin writes on why he was proposing Motion 14 on a ‘National Contract for Education’
9th April 2021
Read more on Martin’s response to Williamson’s proposals for longer days and shorter holidays
24th January 2021
20th November 2020
Funding & Safety
26th August 2021
In response to the reckless DfE guidance and rising infection rates, Martin has drafted some suggested safety advice to assist reps and officers in meeting with employers and school leaders. Download Martin’s advice here.
2nd July 2021
2nd June 2021
15th February 2021
5th January 2021
1st January 2021
Martin puts out the call for staff to assert their rights to protect the safety of staff and the safety of school communities at the start of term.
Educate & Organise
14th September 2021
5th July 2021
28th June 2021
18th June 2021
18th May 2021
Martin warns that this Government still plans to push further towards doing away entirely with democratic local control over education through elected Local Authorities.
14th March 2021
29th January 2021
A DGS who will work with you to win
1. Action to protect the health, safety and welfare of staff and our communities from Covid-19. Don’t leave members to fight alone, co-ordinate action to win Union demands.
2. End excessive workload, and end the high stakes testing that drives so much of it. Win a National Contract for all staff that sets a genuine limit on overall working hours, not just teachers’ ‘directed time’.
3. A Union that builds workplace strength that ensures we are a force to be reckoned with.
Launch union-wide training for NEU reps and officers on how to successfully win collectively.
4. A Union that supports NEU reps and officers to defend members, individually and collectively.
Improve our strategies for organising, recruiting and training reps, and advising our caseworkers.
5. No to a pay freeze. No to cuts, fund schools and colleges to fully meet needs.
Bring the public sector unions together to defend members’ incomes, conditions and jobs.
6. Reverse the privatisation of education. Oppose academisation. Campaign for LA supply pools. Return all schools to democratic local control, staffed under nationally agreed pay & conditions.
7. A Union leading the battle against discrimination and inequality in schools and communities. End Performance Pay. Educate and organise against racism, sexism, disability discrimination and LGBT+ oppression.
8. A Union that recruits, organises and fully represents all education workers working in our schools and colleges. Win negotiating rights for support staff colleagues. Provide supply staff with the support they need, including a sector seat on the NEC.
9. A genuinely democratic union where members are ‘listened to’, not just ‘talked at’.
Build a vibrant inclusive union that values its staff but is led by its elected representatives, its National Executive members, local officers and workplace reps.
10. A campaigning, socialist, Deputy General Secretary who stays in touch with the problems that members are facing. I will be listening to you.
I will not accept more than a teacher’s salary for carrying out my role.